The official start of school was yesterday, and it is going great guns!!! There was blood, sweat, and tears! OK….maybe not blood, but definitely sweat and tears.
We began with a unit study on Self Control. We have a Self Control Goal (complete with posterboard) for the next 6 weeks. We have to get 110 stars AS A FAMILY for going above and beyond when it comes to Self Control. This includes Controlling our Eating, our Anger, our Thoughts, etc. It’s close to the end of Day 2, and we have 3 stars. Almost all of them for Spending More Time on Spiritual Pursuits.
We have a First Week of School Project. Every day we will be doing something different to celebrate the First Week of School.
Monday – we took the First Day of School Pictures that every homeschooler takes, with the kids holding up signs saying what grade they are in.
Tuesday – today I wrote up the following questions and they had to answer them.
1. What can YOU do to have a great year this year? The best answer: Barbie. “I vow to concentrate and reach for good grades.”
2. What can I do to help you succeed this year? The best answer: BAM!. “If you see me start to give up help me.” (They all had answers similar to that, so I need to do more encouraging.)
3. What do YOU hope to learn this year? The best answer: Eyes. “I hope to lean about God.” (misspelling is his)
4. Our family should be ____________________ every day! The best answer: Kissy. “I think our family should be respectful all the time to one anothe everday.” (misspelling is hers)
5. School is important because __________________. The best answer: Barbie. “School is important because it teaches you how to survive the business world.”
Wednesday – we will be creating our own “Twitter” accounts (fake)
Thursday – each child will be summing up his slogan for the day of his twitter account….in other words, creating a “tweet”.
We started our Language Arts books, and Barbie started her English III books. It’s going to be an adjustment, but I can’t say enough about how much I like the IBLP Language Arts books. It already has my 2nd and 3rd grader beginning basic outlines. What a great skill to learn!!!!!!
All 3 girls are loving their individual science classes. And I’m caught up on grading! (Minor miracle, I won’t be for long!)
Fellow homeschoolers: How is YOUR first week going????